The Weekly Advertiser

‘Souvenir’ destroyed at Warracknabeal

An Australian Army Defence Explosive Ordnance Services team has destroyed a dangerous Second World War Two souvenir in Warracknabeal.
The explosive ordinance disposal experts, based at Victoria Barracks in Melbourne, responded to a call from police after a woman found the Japanese Type 89 high-explosive mortar round in a house.
Explosive Ordnance Disposal commanding officer Major Ash Nurick said the bomb had been in the house for many years and was dangerous.
“It seems that the lady was clearing out a house which belonged to her mother when she found the bomb and called the police,” he said.
“We found that while the majority of the actual explosives had been removed from the mortar, the fuse was still present along with some TNT crystals.
“Those crystals are unstable, so after consultation with police we decided the safest option was to carry out a controlled demolition at Warracknabeal Rifle Range.”
Major Nurick said wartime souvenirs turned up from time to time, and anyone who found them should not touch them and call police.

Short URL: http://www.theweeklyadvertiser.com.au/?p=10067

Posted on Jun 27 2012

Posted by on Jun 27 2012. Filed under News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Leave a Reply

Advertising:


Consortium Private Wealth


3WM


MIXX FM


Bowel Cancer Australia

Photo Gallery

The Weekly Advertiser - ACE Radio Broadcasters Pty Ltd