Image Upload


File size must be less than 2Mb

You must have online publishing permission or full ownership of this image

File types (jpg, png, gif)






  • Hero image
    RALLYING TO BE SEEN: Stephanie Thueseni, James McWhinney and Paul Healey, front, lead members of the Health And Community Services Union, HACSU, staging a stop work in Stawell on Wednesday last week. Picture: PAUL CARRACHER
  • Hero image
    Members of the Health and Community Services Union, HACSU staging a stop work in Stawell
  • Hero image
    Disability workers on strike in Ararat.
  • Hero image
    Disability workers on strike in Ararat.
  • Hero image
    RALLYING TO BE SEEN: Stephanie Thueseni, James McWhinney and Paul Healey, front, lead members of the Health And Community Services Union, HACSU, staging a stop work in Stawell on Wednesday last week. Picture: PAUL CARRACHER
  • Hero image
    Members of the Health and Community Services Union, HACSU staging a stop work in Stawell
  • Hero image
    Paul Healey, branch secretary, Members of the Health and Community Services Union, HACSU staging a stop work in Stawell
  • Hero image
    Stephanie Thueseni, Members of the Health and Community Services Union, HACSU staging a stop work in Stawell
  • Hero image
    Members of the Health and Community Services Union, HACSU staging a stop work in Stawell

Disability workers rallying to be seen

By Bronwyn Hastings

Disability support workers rallied at Ararat and Stawell last week, fighting for more funding for clients, and better wages and conditions for employees.

As changes to the National Disability Insurance Scheme, NDIS, are introduced across Australia, the workers, employed by provider Possability, rallied outside town halls to publicly highlight issues within the disability sector – including the closure of homes for people with a disability in the region. 



Article continues below



At Stawell on Wednesday last week, Health And Community Services Union, HACSU, branch secretary Paul Healey said the action came at the end of the Federal Government’s subsidy period. 

“Eight years ago the State Government privatised into five entities, one of which is Possability, and that subsidy has run out,” he said.

“We’re bargaining for a new agreement, making sure that there’s good wages, conditions, and all the things staff need to make a liveable wage  and a liveable job. 

“But also, our campaign is about ensuring there’s good housing and continuity of care for the participants and their families.”

Mr Healey said disability housing was being closed across the state.
“There’s been over 80 ex-government houses shut in the last couple of years – there’s been four in Stawell and one in Ararat,” he said.

“Currently, around 490 homes statewide are at risk, with 26 in the Stawell and Ararat regions facing potential closure. We are also saying that you have got to have the right staffing for the right people, and you have got to be able to access community and
be involved in all the things participants need to live their best possible lives.

“That’s what our people are about, it’s not just a job, it’s our care and profession, and they really do care – it’s not unusual for staff to spend 30 or 40 years in the same house with the same people. The better you know someone, the better the outcomes.”

Mr Healey said the homes’ closures could result in participants living in hospitals, becoming homeless, being ‘prisoners in their own homes’ and not having their needs met.

“That’s not what we want – we want people to live a quality life,” he said.

“We know that when they’re in the community, it embraces them, and they have really positive lives, especially country towns like this.”

NDIS provider Possability began in Tasmania in 1989 and in 2016 merged with another support service to become the state’s largest. It now services Victoria’s Grampians and Loddon areas, along with suburbs in Melbourne’s western outskirts.

In an online statement, Possability outlined changes that would be progressively introduced during the next four years, beginning next month.

“Changes like these can bring uncertainty – we want to communicate with you directly to share what this means and to reassure you that we’re here to support,” the statement read.

“The NDIS is a vital part of our community, supporting thousands of Australians with disability to live life their way.”  

“It is important the scheme remains strong and is shaped by the voices and experiences of people who rely on it every day,” the Possability statement read.

It also outlined key changes to the NDIS, including: eligibility – based on how someone’s disability affects their daily life, not just their diagnosis; plan reassessments – less frequent, unless there are significant changes to support needs; community and social participation – budgets will be reviewed and re-set, which will likely reduce funds, but a new $200-million Inclusive Communities Fund will be created.

Other changes include: support co-ordination and plan management – participants may need to choose providers from a government-approved list; provider registration and quality – especially for those delivering higher-risk supports; and pricing and payments – a new digital payment system will make payments easier to track and help to investigate and prevent fraud.

Possability said in the statement, addressed to clients, that it we welcomed the stronger provider registration requirements across the sector to ensure services were safe, high-quality, consistent, and accountable.

“As these changes take effect, we’re ready to work closely with you, the government, and the National Disability Insurance Agency,” the statement read.  

“We want to make sure your voice is heard in these conversations. We look forward to participating in upcoming consultations to inform the details of these changes, so they strengthen quality and safety and protect choice and control.

“For now, there is no immediate change to your services. Our commitment remains the same, and we will continue to provide high-quality supports for you at every stage.”

Speaking at the rally, James McWhinney said the group was sending a message to Possability, and to the state and federal governments about the need to care for the people who provide disability support.

“The reason we’re in high-vis, we’ve got helmets on and we’re wearing colourful shirts is because we know the State Government doesn’t see the valuable work that disability support workers do every day,” he said.

“So, we want to see if the State Government and the premier can see us now that we’re here in our high-vis.” 

HACSU senior industrial officer Patrick Stephenson said negotiations had ‘come a long way’ since September. “But we’re not where we need to be – it wasn’t really progressing very well, but things really started to turn the corner when we filed our protective action ballot,” he said.

“That really got them to sit up and start taking some of our claims seriously. 

“A couple of weeks ago they were offering $120 for a sleepover; when we started, it was $65. 

“Yesterday it was up to $123, so, we’re inching forward, but it’s still not an offer that is good enough. 

“So we’re going to have to keep fighting for a while longer.” 

The entire May 6, 2026 edition of The Weekly Advertiser is available online. READ IT HERE!