Image Upload


File size must be less than 2Mb

You must have online publishing permission or full ownership of this image

File types (jpg, png, gif)






  • Hero image
    In a letter to the council, Natimuk Bowling Club president Bob Pritchett, pictured, and secretary Graeme Brown wrote that members had voted to proceed with the funding strategy at a meeting on June 22.
  • Hero image
  • Hero image
  • Hero image

Natimuk Bowling Club rebuild letdown

By Lauren Henry

Horsham councillors have hit out at the State Government for failing to adequately fund fire recovery in Natimuk.

At last week’s council meeting, councillors passed a motion to auspice government funding applications to rebuild Natimuk Bowling Club, which was damaged in January’s Grass Flat fire.

The clubrooms were destroyed and the synthetic green incurred significant damage.



Article continues below



The $1.7-million project will include $940,000 for a new pavilion and related works and $780,617 for the green and related works.

The project will be funded by $440,000 from the bowling club’s insurance; with hopes to receive $500,000 from Sport and Recreation Victoria’s Local Sports and Infrastructure Fund and $780,617 from SRV’s Community Support Fund, CSF.

It is understood CSF grant applications are only invited under specific circumstances, and will require political support such as Natimuk Bowling Club seeking election commitments from the various parties ahead of the State Election in November. 

Horsham Mayor Brian Klowss was forthright in his assessment of the situation, and said although he was 100 per cent behind the funding application, it should have already been funded by government recovery money. 

“I’d like it noted that I’m very disappointed after discussions with relevant ministers afterwards, even the premier, that this was going to be funded through the recovery after the fire,” he said.

“Having been quite heavily involved in the fire and in meetings before it – this and the two other sporting clubs that were impacted by the fire were going to be funded. The rebuild was going to be funded. 

“Anyway, it’s disappeared. So it is actually very, very disappointing from a State Government level to have to be doing this for a sporting club that is out of existence until they get a rebuild. 

“It’s very disappointing because this is going to draw the process out even longer for them. 

“I think it’s a great idea that we’re actually going in to do it, but we shouldn’t really have to be doing it.”

The criticism follows Nationals MP Annabelle Cleeland’s claims in her electorate where the Longwood bushfire occurred, recovery funds had not been distributed fairly and were ‘severely underfunded’.

Cr Ian Ross said the Natimuk Bowling Club was ‘so important’ for the rebuilding of the fire-affected town, but it was unfortunate the government and politicians promised there would be funding and that had changed.

“But council can provide the oversight, the governance and help play an important role,” he said.

Cr Cameron McDonald said there was a revival of bowling across all age groups, and Natimuk Bowling Club was a community asset and gathering point.

“After a fire, government really does open its mouth and promise big and deliver little,” he said.

“And they will say ‘Yes, we’re here to help you, and we’re going to put back whatever is possibly lost’ so this is an opportunity for them to actually do that.

“I would be very surprised if this didn’t go through.”

In a letter to the council, Natimuk Bowling Club president Bob Pritchett and secretary Graeme Brown wrote that members had voted to proceed with the funding strategy at a meeting on June 22.

With initial cost estimates deemed as too high to be funded, the scope of the rebuild was modified to align with the club’s expectations and likely grant funding.

The initial floor-plan area was reduced from 347 m2 to 236 m2, with the club suggesting the reduction in the changerooms and other areas to accommodate a smaller, more affordable building.

Council will assist through project management skills but will not contribute financially to the project as the facility is community owned and managed, and not a council asset.

Cr Angela Munn, who moved the motion at last week’s council meeting, said the funding application for the LSIF grant was only open to councils to apply. 

“As this funding is only available through local government, council support enables the club to access the opportunity,” she said.

“And following the impact of the Grass Flat fire, it provides an important opportunity to support the recovery of a valued community facility in one of our smaller towns.”

Cr Rebecca Sluggett said the project was a good example of council working with community groups to improve the outcomes by drawing on a different funding stream together. 

“It is pleasing to see the design not only replaces the past building, but takes the opportunity to improve on what was there prior to the fire by changing the building’s location,” she said. 

The new clubrooms will be located on the west end of the green, with car parking behind it to the rear of the Sudholz Street block. 

The entire July 29, 2026 edition of The Weekly Advertiser is available online. READ IT HERE!